NUFFNANG

Friday 22 August 2008

Dewan Rakyat: Chong Eng unfazed at being labelled a racist by Zulkifli

Dewan Rakyat: Chong Eng unfazed at being labelled a racist by Zulkifli

Reports by V. Vasudevan, Eileen Ng, Joseph Sipalan, Irdiani Mohd Salleh and Ili Liyana Mokhtar

A DAY after she was called a racist and anti-religion by a fellow Pakatan Rakyat member, Chong Eng (DAP-Bukit Mertajam) said she did not bear any grudges against Zulkifli Nordin (PKR-Kulim Bandar Baru).

"I was surprised by his strong reaction, I was not targeting him at all.

"I was alluding to Ibrahim Ali whose speech is often provocative and laced with references to Malay rights," Chong Eng said yesterday.

However, Zulkifli remained unapologetic.

"Her statement showed she was not tolerant of Islam and treated it as a second-class religion.

"I felt her remark was racist since she focused only on Chinese issues," said Zulkifli whose party promotes multi-culturalism and during the last general election ran on the slogan "New Dawn for Malaysia".

Zulkifli said he had no reason to apologise to Chong Eng.

"Why should I apologise to her. In fact, I think she should apologise to me," he said.

DAP secretary-general Lim Guan Eng was unhappy with the PKR member's attack on his Wanita chief.

"It is completely unjustified. She is not racist at all. His statement is no different from Umno. I would have expected such an outburst from an Umno member but not a PKR member," said Guan Eng, who is Penang chief minister and MP for Bagan.

PKR vice-president R. Sivarasa said Zulkifili's remarks were uncalled for.

"It is unparliamentary. We will take action," he said in the lobby of parliament.

Chong Eng said Zulkifli's reaction to her analogy on Islam during the debate on the Education (Amendment) Bill, harked back to the 10th parliament when former members like Datuk Ruhanie Ahmad were of the view that non-Muslims should not discuss Islam.

"I am saddened by this view. Islam is a universal religion and a heritage of the world. If I am not right, correct me."

On being labelled a racist, Chong Eng, who is married to an Indian, said she was not perturbed.

"Just because you accuse me of racism, it does not make me one. I think his remarks reflects badly on him."

For his part, Zulkifli felt aggrieved that Chong Eng had singled him out for criticism.

"We are in the same coalition. She should have discussed with me first," he said.

On Guan Eng's remarks on his conduct, Zulkifli said it was within the DAP secretary-general's right to do so.

Zulkilfi repeated a remark which has become synonymous with his belief.

"I am a Muslim first, a party member second. I am Muslim first, a lawyer second, I am a Muslim first, MP second. You attack and belittle Islam I will be there," he said.

kzso - what's pakatan whip (azmin) action on this? nothing really because there is no leadership in pakatan (azizah has resigned as pakatan's opposition leader in parliament) until new leader (anwar if and when he wins in permatang pauh, lim kit siang, karpal singh, tg abdul hadi can be appointed as opposition leader later...) is elected by pakatan to lead the opposition. seems like without anwar, pakatan will eventually break-up.

No comments: