NUFFNANG

Tuesday 10 September 2013

CAN the Prime Minister Najib be made to change? The PM, My Glass Of Water And Bumiputera

The PM, My Glass Of Water And Bumiputera


by A Kadir Jasin



CAN the Prime Minister be made to change?

Some Umno dreamers and the pro-Umno Malay cendekiawan think it is possible.

Fine.

But what if Mohd Najib the Prime Minister of all Malaysians does not want to change?

Or he does not see why he should change since he does not think he has done anything wrong?

I am provoked to pose these questions for two reasons. The most recent one first. This morning I received the following SMS:

“Jemputan khas dari JPM utk Majlis Pengumuman khas oleh PM berkenaan Pemerkasaan Ekonomi Bumiputera pd 14/9 (Sabtu) jam 8.00 pagi di Dewan Agong Tuanku, UiTM, Shah Alam.”

(Special invitation from the PMO to special announcement of the Strengthening of Bumiputera Economy by the PM on 14/9 (Saturday) at 8.00am (CORRECTED) at Dewan Agong Tuanku, UiTM, Shah Alam.”)

There are still people in the bottom 40% who live like this

Before that, several people who fall into the above categories had told me that since it is difficult to change the Prime Minister, we would now endeavour to change the way he runs the country.

I said to them that I have seen enough of the Mohd Najib Abdul Razak - starting 1977 when I interviewed him on the anniversary of his first year as an MP – to think that he could be changed.

So I told them, if the PM promises me a glass of water, I would not believe in his “janji ditepati” (promise fulfilled) until I drink the water and not be poisoned by it.

It sounds harsh. I am not accusing the PM of trying to poison me. I am not worth wasting the rat’s poison on. But what I am saying is, many things that he says, promises and implements are lost in translation.

Too Many Robins and Catwomen in the PM's Entourage

This is not because Mohd Najib is a bad man with an evil heart. On the contrary, I am sure, he wants to be a hero like the Batman saving Gotham, but the problem with the PM is he has too many Robins – males and females – who are competing with each other for his love and affection, money and power.

I am more than sure that Mohd Najib is capable of delivering a glass of well-treated water, free of diesel contamination, for me to quench my thirst.

But what worries me is, along the way, despite Idris Jala’s best efforts to transform the government delivery system, my glass of water gets contaminated, part of it is lost to evaporation and part of it is spilt by the many Robins and Catwomen in his office that when I drink it, I could not fully quench my thirst and instead suffer a bad case of stomach ache.

So to the Umno dreamers, the youthful Malay idealists, the aging Mubarak faithful and the hopeful pro-Umno bloggers, I implore them not to empty the tempayan upon hearing the distant thunder and not to “pipiskan lada” upon seeing a flock of birds in the sky.

So I shall wait for Mohd Najib’s Sept 14 announcement on “Pemerkasaan Ekonomi Bumiputera” (Strengthening the Bumiputera Economy) and be on the look out for my glass of water.

For now, I shall temper my scepticism and cynicism with “baik sangka” and pray that the Umno dreamers and hopeful Malay cendekiawan are correct after all – that Mohd Najib can be changed without changing the PM.

Wallahualam bi Sawab. Allah knows best

No comments: